In the state of North Carolina, Driving Under the Influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious matter, although it is not the name of the formal charge. North Carolina residents can be charged with a DWI (Driving While Impaired) in a court of law. However, the term DUI and DWI are often used interchangeably. If you are in need of a DUI lawyer in North Carolina, contact the Law Office of William Corbett as we can find a way to help you.
Many people are under the misconception that a DUI charge leads to an automatic conviction. That is not the case. The court must prove within a reasonable doubt that you were guilty of that offense. It is not always as simple as it seems. There are lots of reasons a DUI charge can be dismissed. Here is a look at some of the defenses we could explore in your DUI/DWI case.
- No reasonable suspicion to stop – Officers need a reasonable articulable suspicion to stop a motorist. This is not the same as probable cause for an arrest. This is a standard based upon the officer’s observation and one that he can articulate or explain to the court. If there was no valid reason for the stop, then all evidence obtained thereafter should be suppressed, and the case dismissed.
- Miranda rights were not read – If you were not advised of your right to remain silent while being detained or in custody, then incriminating statements may be suppressed as evidence against you.
- No Probable Cause to Arrest– Law enforcement Officers should have strong evidence to justify an arrest. This means that all pre-arrest screening procedures, and the field sobriety tests must be properly administered. If not, then evidence may be suppressed and the case dismissed.
- Faulty breathalyzer – An improperly calibrated breathalyzer could provide a false reading as there are necessary steps an officer must take before using that piece of equipment.
There are other reasons a DUI/DWI case could get dismissed. However, even if the charge is not dismissed, a DUI/DWI attorney can help mitigate the punishment. William Corbett, will work to see that you get the best result possible. This is done by relying on the following qualities:
- Knowledge of the facts and evidence of your case
- Knowledge of the law
- Strong communication skills
- Honest assessment of your situation
- Good relationship with prosecuting attorneys
Being arrested for a DUI in North Carolina can be a frightening time, although help is just a phone call away. The Law Office of William Corbett can walk you through the process while handling all the legal issues as we fight on your behalf.